January 20, 2019
For our first episode of 2019 we’re joined by young powerhouse Aretha Brown to discuss life after high school, the importance of education about Indigenous culture, and the toll of Invasion Day as an Aboriginal activist.
Links to topics discussed:
- The iconic photo of Aretha at the 2017 Invasion Day rally
- Aretha’s appointment as Prime Minister of the National Indigenous Youth Parliament
- Aretha’s feature in Sportsgirl’s ‘Be That Girl’ campaign
- NGV Top Arts exhibition 2019, featuring Aretha’s artwork
- Aretha’s Instagram and Facebook pages
- Aretha’s new podcast, the Aretha Brown Show
Shout Out to:
Aretha Brown is an artist, activist and the former Prime Minister of the National Indigenous Youth Parliament. A key speaker for the past two years at Melbourne’s annual Invasion Day rally, she has also appeared on Q&A’s Youth special, and is a vocal activist on conversations around intersectionality, being a queer Indigenous person, and the continuous struggle to decolonise herself. She is also the host of the new independent podcast, the Aretha Brown Show.