November 25, 2018
Writer, zine-maker and comedian Jess Knight joins us to discuss her autobiographical one-woman show Mormon Girl, how chronic illness has impacted and influenced her creativity, and losing her virginity.
Links to topics discussed:
- Jess’s gremlinface Blog
- Jess’s frequent creative collaborator Miranda Costa
- Community art group And Also Presents
- Melbourne zine haven Sticky Institute
- A recap of Jess’s winning performance at the MOTH story slam
Shout out to:
- Stevie Jean’s song ‘Hell in Every Religion’
- British TV series Chewing Gum, starring Michaela Coel
Jess Knight is a writer, performer and comedian based in Melbourne. She has spoken at the Emerging Writers Festival and Red Dirt Poetry Festival. Her writing has appeared in Meanjin and Scum Mag. She is a 2018 recipient of a Creative Victoria grant that will help fund her one woman show, Mormon Girl, about growing up Mormon and how she disentangled herself from that belief system to became the unapologetic feminist she is today. Jess won the November 2018 MOTH story slam by telling a five-minute version of her Mormon Girl show.